Individual Therapy

Services for Adults

If problems are taking the upper hand in your life, we can help you take one step at a time.

Individual therapy is one-on-one work with a therapist where you focus on your desired goals or changes. Some people know exactly what they want to work on. Others come in only with the sense that ‘something is off’, or a feeling that their life isn’t working out the way they thought it should. Because it is your story, you begin wherever you need to.

You’ve probably tried many things to feel better or to make your relationships better. But if it’s not working, we will listen to identify strengths and help you consider ways to be your “best self”. Therapy is something you can do to get to a place where you’re feeling better and more in charge of your life decisions and direction.

Life Transitions

Grief & Loss

Addiction & Trauma

Relationship Conflicts



Start Today

Book a Consultation

Book a Consult Services Slim

Get Answers

Frequently Asked

Questions about therapy are perfectly normal. Browse these answers to questions our clients ask us most often. If you are looking for an answer that isn’t here, please reach out to us or book a consultation. We are here to help.

What is psychotherapy and what are the different types of therapy?

Psychotherapy with a Registered Psychologist or Registered Psychotherapist is most easily described as “talk therapy”. It involves open communication between therapist and client mutually working together.


Through psychotherapy sessions one can come to:

  • understand oneself better,
  • reduce symptoms of distress,
  • learn healthy ways of coping, and
  • improve communication in relationships.


Psychotherapy is a proven alternative to, or in combination with medication treatment for anxiety, depression and other mental health conditions.


At McLean Noble Psychologists, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is a primary approach. However, other therapeutic approaches are often integrated according to the client’s needs. Other approaches include Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT) and Solution Focused Brief Therapy.

What is the difference between a Psychologist, Psychological Associate, Registered Psychotherapist and a Psychiatrist?

A Psychiatrist is first trained as a physician, then completes specialized training in psychiatry. They can diagnose and treat mental health problems, with an emphasis on medication. They are licensed with the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons.


A Psychologist and a Psychological Associate are licensed to provided psychological services by the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Psychologists have completed a Ph.D. or Psy.D. (doctorate) in clinical psychology and have completed a year-long internship before beginning their registration process with the College.


Psychological Associates have a Master’s degree in clinical or counselling psychology, and go through the same supervised practice and registration process as Psychologists.


A Registered Psychotherapist is licensed through the College of Psychotherapists of Ontario, which ensures they have enough training to provide the “controlled act” of psychotherapy. Psychotherapists usually have a Master’s degree in psychology.


Most extended health care insurance plans have some coverage for you to see Psychologists and Psychological Associates. Some of these insurance companies cover Registered Psychotherapists. Check with your health insurance provider for details.

Do I need a referral?

No, you do not need a referral from your family doctor to book an appointment with us.


In some cases, your extended health insurance plan may require a referral from your family doctor, but many do not. It may be wise to check first.


We do like to connect with your family doctor. At your first appointment you will be asked if we can send a basic letter to them outlining your contact with us. If you choose to give consent, we will connect with them.

How much does therapy cost?

Fees range from $150 to $225 a session, and sessions are 50-60 minutes in length.


Fees are considered a medical expense by Revenue Canada, and some people qualify for a Medical Expense Tax Credit.


We can also work within what your budget allows and space your appointments out as needed. Keep in mind, receiving help to get and stay healthy may be the best money you’ve ever spent.

Can I call you if I am in crisis or suicidal?

We are not a crisis or emergency service. It may take too long for an urgent message to get through to us.


If you are suicidal you need to call 911 or proceed to your local emergency department. Hospitals have mental health crisis teams working out of their emergency departments and are best equipped to help you.


You can also contact the mental health distress line for York Region at 1-855-310-COPE (2673), or any of the numbers below.


Please feel free to leave a message for your clinician if you would like a call and they will follow-up with you-but this is not emergency or crisis care.


Crisis Lines


  • Connex Ontario Mental Health Helpline:
    1-866-531-2600 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
  • York Support Services Network (YSSN) Community Crisis Response Service:
    1-855-310-COPE (2673) (24 hours, 7 days a week)
  • The Markham Stouffville Hospital Crisis Team:
    Emergency Department, 1-905-472-7111
  • Kid’s Helpline:
    1-800-668-6868 text 686868